05 September 2007

Neighborly update

The bad news: The rain destroyed Sunny's web, and she disappeared. The rain also did quite a number on the white spider's web. (I'm calling the white spider Luna.)

The good news: Luna rebuilt.

The bad news: It rained again.

The good news: Luna rebuilt again, and Sunny came back, but put her web in a different place (up in the trees, not quite as high as Luna's web, but also not across the sidewalk. And not as spectacular. I think Sunny is a bit depressed about the whole rebuilding thing.)

The even better news: There's a third one, another yellow face, in the backyard.

The worst news of all:
I went to shoot a portrait of the new spider and felt a familiar, unpleasant tingle on my toes. It suggested the spider's new name: Queen Elizabeth. She is surrounded by palace guards, having built her throne directly over a fire ant mound. Ow ow ow ow ow.

Ain't nature great?

2 comments:

Wil said...

And why were you wearing sandals on a lawn you already know is infested with fire ants, dearie?

A glutton for punishment, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

Hi...it's been a while since I have been on your blog...NOW I know what that *&#@$ spider is called on my basket ball goal andmy porch...though ours are red.

How's the ankle?